Our Carli is a Blessing - A Gift From Heaven Above

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers


Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers


Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

You're So Precious to Me, Sweet as Can Be, Baby of Mine

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 21, 2010

The Day I Became a Momma...Again!

**This is a bit long, but I put lots of pics at the end if you make it that far!**

I thought that I should take what few moments I have and write down Ava's birthday events while I could remember. I'm sure I've already forgotten some, but this maybe more for my benefit than anyone else's since I have not been very good at putting things in baby books...one day I hope to get the blog turned into a scrapbook/memoir type thing and at least the girls will have that!

I'm not sure who talked who into going ahead with an induction. But in the end it made the most sense. Keith's parents could be here as they were with Carli's birth. Carli would be taken care of by all the family that was in town and Keith would not have to stress about me going into labor and not knowing it until it was too late to get to the hospital. So it was - I called the doctor last Monday and requested an induction on Friday morning. Since I was already dilated, he agreed and we were sit to go.

Naggy and Pappy got here Wednesday and helped us with last minute things on our to do list. The house was a disaster when they arrived. To say it was all put together by Friday would be a stretch, but at least the baby clothes were put up and everything had a place to belong; whether or not it was in its place was another story. But I felt better about things and not near as stressed. We went to the doctor on Thursday - I was still at a 2, Ava's heart beat sounded great and the doctor told us he'd see us bright and early in the morning.

Friday morning at 4:30 Keith and I headed to the hospital. We took one last belly shot for good measure and I actually remembered to measure my belly all the way around - 41 inches...nice! Bear in mind, this picture was taken at 4:30 am!

We got to the hospital, got checked in and got settled into our room. The nurse had a hard time getting an IV into my arm and it hurt! After blowing out one vein, they found another further up my arm in a not very comfy spot, but they got it in after what seemed like forever and my pitocin was started by 6:30.

At 7:30, the doc came by and broke my water. I was at a 3 at this point. The contractions were not uncomfortable really. Every time I had one, my first thought was that I had to go to the bathroom. At one point I made Keith unhook me to let me go...only I didn't need to go b/c they don't let you have any water when you are in labor! Argh! And thus Keith confirmed that he was thankful we were being induced and I was not having to tell him when my contractions came and went since I thought I just needed to go to the bathroom all the time! So, at 7:30 my water was broken and the fun really began.

I literally went from having an uncomfortable feeling like I had to go the bathroom to the most unbearable pain I have ever felt. Actually, I told my mom that it felt the same if not worse than the contraction pain I felt when I was without an epi with Carli in the last stages of labor - so I was at a 10 and ready to deliver...and these contractions felt like that and it hurt, extremely hurt. The nurse told me that Ava was so far down that by him breaking my water, he broke the "balloon" that was the cushion between she and I. I didn't care what the explanation was - I just knew I was in extreme pain and I was only in hour 2 of my labor. I was petrified.

Thankfully, one of our reasons for induction was to make sure my Mom would be there. She was the calming force for me when Carli was born. Keith was there but he'll tell you that he couldn't stand to see me in pain, he literally goes blank. So, our big request was that Mom needed to be there b/c she had to tell me to breathe and that it would be okay - after all if Mom says it is okay, you believe her right? So Mom was there telling me to breathe and all would be okay. Keith was there holding my hand...or rather I was squeezing the day lights out of his...and we waited. It took the epi guy FOREVER to get there...actually, it only took him about 15 minutes. But when you have a contraction ever minute that was lasting for over a minute...that was a long, long time!

Epi guy arrived, attempted to ask me questions. He was oblivious to the looks I was giving him since I could not talk b/c it hurt so badly...Keith answered his questions. It is true that Keith "blacked out" during the epi. We are not sure why. He did this with Carli too - only they had a chair behind him and he just sat down and was okay. Things were moving so fast that they didn't get a chair behind him and my Mom barely made it over to him to help him lay on the floor. He doesn't see anything - the epi needle or anything, but maybe the thought of it, the fact I was shaking uncontrollably...I dunno...but it gets him.

Thankfully, I am a prime candidate for the epidural and when it was in it worked and life was once again good. So good that I went to sleep and it was the best sleep I had had in nine months! After Ava was born the nurse told me that she was afraid it was too late for the epidural. That I had progressed so fast, that she was scared to check me b/c she thought I had progressed too far. I don't remember if they checked me after the epidural. I just slept.

I woke up at 11:45 - the nurse checked me and said, she would call the doctor! Whoa! Are you kidding me? And she did and he showed up by noon. I literally pushed twice and Ava was here. Six total hours in labor, and one beautiful baby.

Keith has a legitimate fear. All of us kids were born naturally without an epi to my mom b/c she always skipped that middle stage of labor when you can get an epidural. So, to say I have not felt the "not unbearable, but very much uncomfortable" labor pains is not a lie. I literally skipped that step and had I not been at the hospital I would not have gotten those good ol meds! Woohoo for inductions!!

Ms Ava was born at 12:16 pm on May 14, 2010. She weighed 7 lbs 5 oz, almost a whole pound lighter than her sister and was 19.75 inches long. She was delivered at exactly 39 weeks 2 days - vs the 41 weeks her sister was delivered at.

Keith and the newest lady in his life.

Tessie will tell you I had a "Soap Opra" doctor...I remembered to get a picture of him this time around. Dr. Luzzeitti was an awesome doctor, especially since I didn't have to go 41 weeks this time!

Carli meeting Ava for the very first time.

First Family Picture as a Family of Four.

Momma with her two girls.

The girls with their Grammy and Naggy.

One of my favorites...Carli just wanted to hold Ava.

Group Family Shot.
Ava Ruth Hays
Carli with her new baby, feeding her a bottle.
The girls, ready to go home!
Really? We get to bring her home?!

Recovery has gone much easier this time - nursing has been a little more difficult. But things are getting better. Tomorrow we are having Ava's newborn pictures taken and sadly Naggy has to go back home. Watch out real world...here we come!!

More to come, I am a bit slower posting this time around b/c we are in the middle of moving pictures around to a new computer and well, I have two kids now - time was short before...it really is now!

post signature

1 comment:

Robin Johnson RPh said...

WOW! 2 winners in a row. Beautiful girls, congrats!
Keith,there is just something about epidurals that make spectators loose it. I did, years ago, while in school and having to watch a surgery. I didn't make it past the anesthetic-hit the floor and found myself on a gurney when I woke up. Missed the whole thing, while my co-student watched open heart surgery without a qualm. I'm with You!